What is Continuous Integration/Continuous Delivery (CI/CD) Pipeline?
A Continuous Integration/Continuous Delivery (CI/CD) pipeline involves a series of steps that is performed in order to deliver a new version of application. CI/CD pipelines are a practice focused on improving software delivery using automation.
Components of a CI/CD pipeline
The steps that form a CI/CD pipeline are distinct subsets of tasks that are grouped into a pipeline stage. Typical pipeline stages include:
- Build - The stage where the application is compiled.
- Test - The stage where code is tested. Automation here can save both time and effort.
- Release - The stage where the application is delivered to the central repository.
- Deploy - In this stage code is deployed to production environment.
- Validation and compliance - The steps to validate a build are determined by the needs of your organization. Image security scanning, security scanning and code analysis of applications ensure the quality of images and written application's code.
Figure: CI/CD Pipeline Stages